Making Pumpkin Pie from a Real Pumpkin
Peter Peter Pumpkin Pie
Every year for Thanksgiving, our brother Peter makes his famous "Peter Peter Pumpkin Pie". He finally revealed his secret recipe for this incredible dessert. Give it a try, and have fun baking!
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 sticks cold butter (cut into half inch cubes)
- Add flour and sugar to a mixing bowl.
- Add butter cubes
- Mix using a mixer or pastry blender until the mixture resembles a coarse meal
- Add ice water drop by drop and mix until the dough just forms a ball.
- Cut dough ball in half, take one half and form into a 3/4 inch disc on a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap disc with the plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Repeat with the other half. (Makes two 9 inch pie crusts).
Pie filling (for 1 pie)
2 cups fresh pumpkin*
3 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
*you can use one 15 oz can of pumpkin puree if you didn't prepare your fresh pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Combine all filling ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until well blended.
- Lightly butter an 8 inch pie pan
- Remove the pie shell disc from the refrigerator and roll into a 9 inch circle that is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Line pie pan with rolled out pie shell
- Pour pie filling into shell
- Bake 50 - 60 minutes or until knife inserted in middle of pie comes out clean
- Let cool and serve or refrigerate