Some Interesting Facts About Lemons
Our Favorite Fruit
It's summer time! And what better way to celebrate than with lemons? Tart, juicy, and versatile, the possibilities are endless when it comes to finding new ways to enjoy our favorite citrus fruit.
In celebration of lemons and summertime, here's a few fun facts you might not have known.
- Lemons are technically berries.
- There are at least 50 different varieties of lemons.
- Lemons were once so rare that kings would present them to one another as gifts.
- Upper class Victorians would plant lemon trees in their homes to keep them smelling fresh and as a sign of prestige.
- During the Renaissance, women would redden their lips with lemon juice.
- August 20, 1630 in Paris, lemonade was first sold as a soft drink. Its ingredients were lemon juice, honey, and sparkling water.
- Frozen lemonade was first created in Naples, Italy in the 1840s.
- Miners during the California Gold Rush would pay large amounts of money for just a single lemon.
- Sprinkling lemon juice on other fruits can prevent them from turning brown.
- The high amounts of vitamin C found in lemons is vital for healthy, glowing skin.
- Lemon trees produce fruit year round, resulting in up to 600 pounds of lemons a year and can grow up to 20 feet tall.
At Sweet Day Gourmet, we only use the highest quality ingredients in our recipes. Our authentic Italian Lemon Cookie mix is made with real lemon zest, giving you only the best that gourmet baking has to offer. For more information on our products and gourmet baking, please be sure to contact us.